[Coco] free CoCo stuff in southern CA (San Diego)

Garrett Reynolds greynolds86 at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 2 23:18:58 EDT 2017

I was fortunate enough to meet up with this kind gentlemen today in San Diego.

Here's  a list of goodies it got:

  *   Unfortunately he couldn’t find his CoCo1 but he’s going to keep looking.
  *   CoCo2 which has been modified.  It has three additional buttons, and additional composite port of some sort and a DB15 connector on the bottom with ribbon cable.  Not sure what the mods are.  This was given to him by one of his friends who passed away and he is not clear what the mods are for.  Let me know if you would like to see photos.
  *   A 1st gen floppy drive (drive0) with controller.  (I’ll be posting a question about this).
  *   A modified ROM PAK that looks to just extend the expansion port to the outside of the computer.  I opened the PAK and there is only a PCB (no components), hardwired to an external connector.  No idea what purpose this would serve.
  *   Two Cassette Cables
  *   Two original analog joysticks
  *   Three Serial to to Paralell printer cables
  *   Two Brother EP44 thermal printers
  *   Color Basic, Extended Color Basic, Disc Basic and other assorted manuals
  *   Original “Bedlam” in the package with manual and cassette
  *   Original “Telewriter 64” with printed manual, cassette, and original receipt and credit card slip.
  *   Two boxes of floppies
  *   6 editions of “Hot CoCo” magazine
  *   One Rainbow magazine (October 1982)

The CoCo2 is DOA.  It turns on to a green screen but some random ASCI characters/blocks etc.  I’m assuming RAM based on a previous post with similar problems?

While I was in the area, I found a college selling an (don’t shoot me know, I learned on this in high school), an Apple IIe with dual disk drives, Boot Disk, and Apple color monitor, and expanded memory card.  Probably paid more than I should ($120) but it works and gives me something else to review past memories.  Can anyone say HGR?  HPLOT?

This kind person had retired from the Navy back in 1982.  He acquired a degree in electronics/engineering and wrote basic programs on the navy ships for doing temperatures conversions and other tasks.  Upon retirement, he could not afford the same computer he worked with (a mini computer), so he got into the TRS-80 CoCo as he could afford it.  He also used it for HAM radio (which he still does to this day less the CoCo).

I told him that I was not getting these items to sell but rather preserve so I’m hopeful and can get everything working.  Thought you all might like an update.

PS – If he finds the original CoCo, he’ll be in my area in a couple months and said he would drop it off.

Cheers. . .