[Coco] A New CoCo Forum, just what we need?

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Wed Oct 18 21:38:06 EDT 2017

Another $0.02...

Firstly, full disclosure: the Coco is only part of my broad range of
interests across retro computing/gaming, albeit a sentimental favourite
since I had one back in the day. I also spend more time developing for
the Coco than any other platform.

I joined the FB groups because I found myself on FB (mainly on my phone)
and it was "just there". It's great for catching community
news/announcements, photos of members' set-ups and videos form Simon. I
also occasionally post updates to my porting projects - mainly because I
can easily upload a video.

However, I'm fully aware that I'll inevitably _miss_ posts; my FB feed
is so busy it's impossible to see everything. It's also very difficult
to search reliably, and laborious to scroll back too far. So for me,
it's useless as an archive of information, and I treat it accordingly -
not unlike a daily newspaper that gets tossed in the bin at the end of
the day.

The mailing list is my personal preference; easily searched, archived on
my machine(s), doesn't require a lot of disk space. I like the fact that
it's _pushed_ at me; I don't have to remember to visit the web page,
remember my login, manually search through a half-dozen topics. It's all
there, nicely summarised by topic at a glance, when I open my mail
client. Easy to see what interests me, and what doesn't.

Of course, it has its down-fall as well, namely no pictures or videos.
So it can be a little dry at times. And with a fractured (across
mediums) community, there tends to be less information "worthy" of
archiving these days. :(

As for forums; they can be great sources of valuable information. When
Googling for an answer to a technical question, half the time the answer
is in a forum. They're great for that...

But I don't like the fact that I have to _remember_ they exist, and log
in and search for new posts that may be of interest in a handful of
sub-forums. I never get my (community) news, for example, from forums. I
tend to frequent a particular forum for a few weeks when they pique my
interest, then they invariably fall outside my attention span.

And it doesn't stop there. Podcasts, YouTube, Google+... we truly live
in the age of information overload.

So in summary, personally, I won't likely frequent a new forum. Of
course I'd never discourage anyone else from attempting to establish
one, or frequent one themselves. And it's more than likely that in the
future I'll be searching for an answer and it'll pop up on the forum!

Good luck with it Stevie!

Regards,

--
Mark McDougall