[Coco] 74 series IC damaged

Salvador Garcia salvadorgarciav at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 16 11:11:55 EDT 2017

 Are these CMOS? If so then yes they could be damaged by mishandling. Heat? Yeah, if enough heat is applied to the pin, but this is usually not a problem unless your soldering skills are non existent. With adequate skills, an IC pin can be soldered in 2 seconds, but if it takes 30 seconds then the probability of damaging the chip goes up.
For prototypes, I always use sockets. While I am usually quick to solder, sometimes it doesn't go as planned and I end up lingering on the same pin for 10 seconds. Not good, but also not critical. Salvador