[Coco] 74 series IC damaged

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Mon Oct 16 09:41:41 EDT 2017

On Monday 16 October 2017 09:08:34 Rietveld Rietveld wrote:

> Hi.   Is it possible to damage 74 series IC's while soldering them to
> the board. (excess heat).    Is it better to solder in sockets then
> just pop in the ic's

Possible, yes, probable, no, unless the iron is way too hot. 750F is a
great plenty, and I do quite a bit of what I do at about 650F.

As a C.E.T., I would much rather suspect an unsafe workbench setup,
combined with a soldering tool that isn't adequately tip grounded for
static/stray electrical charges, with blown gates in the ic from excess
voltages being the result. In that scenario, even putting in sockets
puts other ic's on the same board in danger.

There are a few exceptions of course, but generally, an iron with an
asking price below the $100 range is not suitable for working on todays,
or even 35 years old, electronics.

> Sent from my BlackBerry Passport Red Edition.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)