[Coco] CocoPi3 "PacoOtaktay Winter 2017-2018 Edition" now available

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Thu Nov 23 06:57:36 EST 2017

On Thursday 23 November 2017 04:36:53 Dave Philipsen wrote:

> Gene, I definitely agree with you on the i/o bottleneck of the Pi.
> However, there is one area where it really shines. I have not found
> another computer that will smoothly and seamlessly play 1080 HD video
> at the same price point.
>
> I am using the Pi as a video player in a project I’m working on but it
> acts as a slave to a much slower processor.  The client asked me why I
> didn’t just use the Pi for the whole kit and kaboodle. And that was my
> answer, you just can’t do anything practical with it as far as i/o is
> concerned. I have several different projects using the Pi as a hi-def
> video player and it has been very, very reliable and will play
> anything I can throw at it.

That was the other point I was going to make Dave.  Running the
relatively simple axis gui on top of linuxcnc, my frame rate has never
exceeded 10 fps and is generally less than 7fps. You get used to the
lag, but its still there. This is using the hdmi port, feeding a 1920 x
1080 monitor using the framebuffer according to /var/log/Xorg.0.log, as
jessie has no better drivers for the pi that I've been able to find.

So what drivers are you using to get a 30 fps rendering at 1080P?

And what color depth, 16x16 is the best I can get out of the framebuffer,
so some colors are compressed, making synaptic, the package manager, a
bit hard to see because it uses small white variations to define its
boxes etc, and these get lost in the pi's 16 bit display.

> Dave

Turkey day but not here, don't know what I'd do with a bird that big and
just the two of us.  Not sure what I'll try to feed Dee yet. Whatever
all of you folk have, enjoy it. This is supposed to be a family day,
getting together to celebrate a bountiful harvest. My boys are all
headed for an un-incorporated town my 3rd son has purchased at a fannie
may fire sale in central Kansas about 3 years ago, to spend the weekend.
I'd like to go, but Dee wouldn't last the trip. COPD is relentless.

Cheers Dave & all the rest of the coco nuts, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)