[Coco] SDC access via the SuperIDE

rietveld rietveld rietveldh at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 19 21:29:37 EST 2017

I wanted to copy .dsk's from my SDC to my Superide

This is how I did it :

Fd502 in slot 4
Superide in slot 3
Speech/sound slot 2
SDC slot 1

I put the SIDEKICK.dsk on DRIVE 254.

I put the SDCX.dsk ‎ on DRIVE 4 with this added 3 line program I wrote called "*.bas"

10 DRIVE 4
20 POKE 65407,0. REM SOFTWARE SWITCH TO SDC
30 RUN"SDCX"

I  edited line 280 of the AUTOEXEC file on the Superide drive0 to read :

280 IF A$="H" THEN POKE 65407,51 : DRIVE OFF : CLEAR 200 :RUN"SIDE.BAS:254"

I do a POKE 65407,51 to software switch the MPI to slot 4 (physical disk) while leaving the physical switch on slot3(superide)

I do a DRIVE OFF to allow for instant access of the physical floppies

The Superide now boots up to the SIDEKICK menu
Scroll down to disk 4 and select "*.BAS" from that disk and it will boot up to the SDCX explorer and give full access to the sdc (from the super ide).

Just highlight a disk and press (break). That. Dsk is now mounted as DRIVE 0 of the Superide.   Now all you have to do is BACKUP 0 to xxx (xxx is any available DRIVE on the super ide).

Press reset on the coco and u will autoboot to the sidekick menu and you can again select disk 4 to move to the sdc again or scroll down and use any of the 255 DRIVES including the one you just copied or the physical drive 0-3

Also you can scroll down to DRIVE 4 from the SIDEKICK menu and launch the SDCX.   Use the SDCX to navigate to a disk and launch and play it with out moving it to the SUPERIDE

Hope this helps others out