[Coco] Making OS-9/NitrOS9 more user friendly Facebook group discussion

Brett Gordon beretta42 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 16:39:52 EST 2017

On Nov 17, 2017 4:07 PM, "Allen Huffman" <alsplace at pobox.com> wrote:

On Nov 17, 2017, at 11:39 AM, Alex Evans <alxevans at concentric.net>

True. Booting from those devices is not possible without a special DISK
BASIC ROM replacement that is able to load the bootfile.

Not true!  Cocoboot method does not require a ROM. thats just the way it
done for the fpga project.  It just another decb ml proggie, really.. how
ever you want to bootload it is up to you.

In the Kenton SCSI interface days, I had a floppy boot that would load a
bootfile containing the hard disk drivers, then finish the high level boot
from the SCSI drive.

Later, I got RGB-DOS and it allowed putting that boot floppy in a virtual
hard drive partition so it could load entirely from the drive, but under
the hood it was loads from floppy then hard drive.

CoCoSDC is the first device I’ve had that allowed fully booting from a hard
drive just using DOS.