[Coco] Disto Super II controller repair

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Mon May 29 18:50:36 EDT 2017

Tim Fadden wrote:
> Hi,
> Is there anyone on the list that could do a repair on a Disto Super II controller?
> Mine started flaking out on me, and finally quit pretty much all together.
> Gets disk read errors, and when trying to do a format, it gets part way, and eventually fails all
> together.  I use it in a repack with a 4in1 controller.  Would really like to get it working, or the
> repack is useless.
>
> Thanks
>
> P.S. I'm retired, and not rich. But am willing to pay for your efforts.

Before you decide that the Super II is the problem, you should try to eliminate other issues.
Do you use an MPI? What model Coco are you using? Have you cleaned the contacts connecting the
controller to Coco or MPI? If possible, have you tried the controller on a second Coco or another
disk controller on your Coco? Do all disks give this problem or just some disks? Have you checked
the speed of the drive either with software or the strobe disk in the drive? Do the disks you are
using turn easily by hand or is there considerable friction within the 5.25" sleeve? Is your cable
connecting the drive(s) to the controller in good shape?

Questions like the above can point to specific hardware. Disk I/O errors can be caused by many
things not just the disk controller.

Robert