[Coco] CoCoSDC Saving Kings Quest Progress to disk.

Travis Poppe travispoppe at gmail.com
Sun May 28 14:27:37 EDT 2017

On Sun, May 28, 2017 at 08:41:48AM -0500, Alexander Wallace wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I’m very new to the great SDC and barely remember anything about OS9.
> I’m in the process of re-learning.
>
> But for the interim, I got both my 16 and 13 year olds excited about
> playing KQI. It’s very easy to die, so I want to save the progress.
> When I attempt to do so, it complains the disk is full.
>
> Is it possible to create another SDC image and mount it from within
> NitrOs9? I’ve searched google and I know some patches have been made
> to support the SDC on NitrOs9, but not sure if this is available to
> these KQI images… If not, is there other way to save the progress? I
> don’t have an MPI.

A possible workaround is to download Barry Nelson's NitrOS9 virtual hard
drive and run King's Quest from it instead. A bit overkill, but it ought
to have free disk space:

https://europa.lickwid.net/cocosdc/ULTIMSDC-2017-01-16/VHD/NO6809BN.VHD.gz

This will need to be uncompressed with a utility like 7-Zip.

Unfortunately I am not sure how to properly launch the game from the VHD
image. Perhaps Barry could weigh in on that? Entering the full path to
the game (/dd/games/kq1/cmds/sierra) doesn't seem to work.

Regards,
--
Travis Poppe
IRC: tlp on irc.freenode.net