[Coco] Joystick button (peek)

Glen Hewlett glen.hewlett at sympatico.ca
Thu May 18 19:18:29 EDT 2017

Hi Rietveld,

I think from basic you can read the joystick values from the following:

$15A Left Vertical Joystick value
$15B Left Horizontal Joystick
$15C Right Vertical Joystick value
$15D Right Horizontal Joystick

If you make a little program like this:
10 ?peek(&H15A)
20 goto 10

Run it and click on the buttons I think the values will change maybe setting the higher bits… and you can test for these changes.

Also looking at the unravelled series I found this:
FF00		BIT0	KEYBOARD ROW 1 AND RIGHT JOYSTICK SWITCH 1
BIT1	KEYBOARD ROW 2 AND LEFT JOYSTICK SWITCH 1
BIT2	KEYBOARD ROW 3 AND RIGHT JOYSTICK SWITCH 2
BIT3	KEYBOARD ROW 4 AND LEFT JOYSTICK SWITCH 2
BIT4	KEYBOARD ROW 5
BIT5	KEYBOARD ROW 6
BIT6	KEYBOARD ROW 7
BIT7	JOTSTICK COMPARISON IINPUT

So maybe just doing a peek(&HFF00) will give you the values you are looking for...

I can’t test this myself since I don’t have a working Joystick.  I bought one at the last CoCo Fest but when I plug it into my CoCo3 it locks the keyboard up.  If I unplug it the keyboard works again.  I’ve tried both the left and right joystick ports but the same thing happens.  It is a deluxe joystick that someone added an extra button on (it has two buttons).  Maybe I’ll take it apart sometime and fight with it.

I hope the little info I gave you helps.
Cheers,
Glen