[Coco] A little off topic

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Thu May 18 12:54:45 EDT 2017

On Thursday 18 May 2017 09:13:27 Dave Philipsen wrote:

> Sorry, if you look at either of these two webpages you'll see
> references to "Allied Radio Shack".
>
> http://www.alliedcatalogs.com/
>
> http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/catalog_directory.html
>
> Dave

My first contact, even awareness of Radio Shack, was walking into the
Tandy Leather Company Store, toward the eastern end of Main st, in Rapid
City SD after my job at EAFB had wound down, to see what they had in
leatherworking tools (very well equiped) and discovering, among the
odors of freshly tanned cowhide, a back wall full of electronics stuff.
This would have been in the time frame of Mr. Tandy buying them + 6
months I'd guess.  They did change the name on the front facade to Tandy
Radio Shack a couple years later. The stuff on the back wall slowly
expanded, but that was one of the slimmer $ times in my history until I
had acquired a 1st phone license and had advanced in the KOTA-TV staff
ranking from a tx operator to engineer status at their studios.

I still remember my time in RCSD. I'd bought a 2 bedroom place west of
town about 3 miles out, hunting and fishing and generally enjoying,
along with my wife Annie, the sorts of things you could do in the Black
Hills of South Dakota. I figured Annie and I could ride it out till the
rapture, but her's came in 1968 when she had a stroke, blood clot
blocked the junction of the middle cerebral artery on the left side, and
died, making her services a feature of our oldest daughters 9th birthday
on June 2nd.

I have been back to RCSD a couple times in the last 30 years, but its
true, the place has grown and taken on big city memes, so I could never
anymore.

The flood in '72, and the subsequent ban on beds in the 100 year flood
plain made the survivors build along the major roads leaving town, and
of course the first thing all those folks did was put up no hunting
signs, so no access to the land behind their 150 foot deep strip along
the road, effectively locking up about 150,000 acres of huntable land in
the half a million or so  of the hills.  Now they kill more deer with
their cars than guns & have the gall to complain about it. Somehow my
sympathy supply just doesn't quite reach those people, they are getting
exactly what they asked for.  But I digress.  So I'll shut up.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)