[Coco] CocoPi3 Update

Ron ron at kdomain.org
Tue May 2 15:37:05 EDT 2017

CocoPi3 - ChangeLog - May 2017

CocoFEST 2017 was a trial run for the CocoPi3 distribution.  I took some
time to observe how others looked at it, used it, etc., and made some
enhancements.  Some are minor others are more significant.  I've been
learning quite a bit with this little project, but the best part has
been some of the folks I've met and worked with along the way.

- Quick refresh of some Raspbian packages (i.e. sudo apt-get update;
sudo apt-get upgrade)
- Updated GCC 6 (as part of Debian's bleeding edge "stretch" repo).  GCC
6 is required to compile MAME.
- Pierre Sarrazin resolved an issue with the cmoc compiler for
Raspbian.  Fix already included with this update.
- Updated MAME to the latest version (0.185)
- Updated the Main Menu and included many new entries as well as updated
existing ones (over double the options)!
- Typing 'menu' from any prompt will return to main menu screen
- Some menu options include additional informational screens/prompts
- Option for booting Coco 3 with VCCEmuDisk hard drive image.  Includes
NitrOS9 & 255 virtual DECB disks with programs
- Option for booting Coco 3 (2MB RAM) directly into NitrOS9 using latest
image from http://nitros9.sourceforge.net/snapshot/
- Option for booting Coco 3 (2MB RAM) directly into Fuzix (via YA-DOS).
Internet access provided via 'lwwire' daemon
- Options still available for Coco 2 (MAME & XRoar) both with Drivewire
support as well as booting into MC-10
- Updated the scripts to start and stop the DriveWire, lwwire and emceed
daemons from main menu
- Edit Wifi configuration from main menu
- Adjust RPi3 system volume from main menu (for HDMI and analog ports)
- Run 'raspi-config' from main menu (resize file system, other
administrative options)
- Backup existing RPi3 installation to alternate SD card (i.e. clone
entire SD card) from main menu
- Reboot or shutdown RPi3 (safely) from main menu
- IP address(es) on main menu screen.  Includes for both WiFi and CAT6
- System uptime information on main menu screen
- Daemon status (DriveWire, lwwire and emceed) on main menu screen
- Emceed server for hosting files to a real MC-10. Requires MCX-128
expansion cartridge & serial to USB adapter
- DriveWire can still be configured to host files for real Coco's as
well.  Same serial to USB adapter would be required
- Added additional documentation in Samba share 'doc' folder
(/media/share1/docs).  This includes help with Bluetooth controllers

Unfortunately, there's too many changes to just provide updated files
for.  As such, it will require downloading a new image.  Going forward,
I am working on a way to package updates (perhaps via a CocoPi3 repo for
use with apt-get) to save time.

I plan on recording a video demo of this new version soon and will send
it off to Steve Strowbridge to add to his YouTube channel.  I also need
to work with Rick Adams and Simon Jonassen to see about replacing the
older SD card image with this new one.

Thanks!