[Coco] Pdf on coco3

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Mar 22 11:19:39 EDT 2017

EPUB is based on HTML (XHTML actually), so it wouldn't be any harder than
writing a simple web browser, either in graphics mode, or in text mode. Unix has
several examples of text-mode browser (for VT100 terminals, though often not
caring about colours) : Lynx, Links and more recently W3M. Unix also has at
least one mail client that can display HTML in a similar text-mode way : Alpine
(which is still my default mail client today).

When supporting EPUB, it should be fairly easy to drop HTML or CSS codes that
you don't want to support (either because you're in text mode or because your
graphics mode font display doesn't support everything).

In PDF, it's harder to get away with that, because it contains hardcoded
positions for text, so, you can't just pick a different font size and expect it
to fit in the page or look good. It's not as low level as CGP-115 or LOGO
drawing commands, but it's not meant to deviate from what it is exactly meant to
display. It's not even meant for low-res displays, Postscript was originally
designed to be efficient on printers that could do several thousands of pixels
per row but had cables way too low-speed for transmitting bitmaps, and then PDF
is the successor of PS. So, expect irregular spacing between characters as you
reduce resolution or zoom out... I can still notice it sometimes with modern
displays (e.g. 1920 pixels wide).

(Though PDF is a binary format and Postscript isn't, they otherwise have lots in
common, though not nearly as much as between EPUB and a web page)