[Coco] Extended BASIC Helper Utilities

Arthur Flexser flexser at fiu.edu
Tue Mar 21 11:46:39 EDT 2017

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 9:54 AM, Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca>
wrote:

> Given that both ADOS and Coco3 added more token numbers, and that ADOS
> didn't take the care of numbering them from the end of the available range,
> there was a conflict which would cause ADOS's additional Disk Basic
> commands to appear as if they were Coco3-specific commands (HCIRCLE or
> whatever). Did ADOS-3 include a converter tool for those .BAS files, or was
> it handled transparently, or did the author just have to rewrite every
> conflicting token manually using EDIT or POKE ?
>
> Just curious. I remember running ADOS3 a bit, but not programming for it,
> and I'm not sure I tried the original ADOS, and I don't even remember
> what's in ADOS3, but I did notice the conflict while browsing a text file.

1.  ADOS (as opposed to ADOS-3/Extended ADOS-3) wasn't really intended for
use on the CoCo 3, so there were a few glitches that arose when the CoCo 3
came out.
The solution for ADOS users was getting ADOS-3, which not only cured the
glitches but added features that took advantage of the CoCo 3's
capabilities.

2.  The extra commands in all versions of ADOS were generally intended for
use in direct mode rather than within programs, to avoid having programs
written under ADOS that would not run under standard Disk Basic.  So ADOS
tokens getting listed wrong (in the odd circumstance of both using the
extra commands within a program AND using the original ADOS rather than
ADOS-3 on a CoCo 3) would be highly unlikely to occur in actual use..

3.  You can't put new tokens at the end of the available range;  they have
to consecutively follow the existing tokens for structural reasons, unless
you want to add a bunch of contorted extra ROM code to handle
nonconsecutive tokens.

4.  Nobody in the history of ADOS has ever complained about the problem you
cite.

Art