[Coco] error 249

Sat Mar 18 19:09:34 EDT 2017

I was trying to support you not trying to start an argument, what you were saying was just not matching up with what others posted and was confusing to me.

-------------

OK, you have two 5-1/4" 80T2S drives and one fails.

The only replacement drives are 3.5" 80T2S drives. You do the replacement.

Every time you wish to do a backup of a disk you create a disk with the wrong DNS!

Do you use new disk names? I had ~ 200 disks with names like SHF00 - SHF900.

So I kept DNS the same for the two copies, one 5-1/4" one 3.5" with the same names. At the end of the day the copies were in sync.

When I made a CD with all my disks either DNS value could be used, I kept the same DNS=3.

It is just the repeating discussion of DNS=1 or DNS=3 we have had before.

I was surprised with your 5-1/4"  40T2S and DNS=1 and 80T2S DNS=3 patch but I liked it for the masses. But the number of working 5-1/4" 80T2S drives is very small so what was the driving force to do the patch and where in the NitrOS-9 documentation is it documented?

Then going on to say 3.5" 80T2S should have DNS=1 floored me because of the two different type problem I listed above.

I realize the DNS=1 fans have saved more disks to the Internet than I have and thus are the winners. But I have found 80T2S dsk files with DNS=3.

A utility to read lsn0 and change the DNS value on the disk I think would be useful. Expanding the error 249 description to list all of the reasons it might occur might have helped in the beginning. Google did find one place that they were listed but the link was stale.

SHF