[Coco] error 249

Bill cwgordon at carolina.rr.com
Sat Mar 18 09:46:05 EDT 2017

Well, that proves the axiom, "Never assume". I had "assumed" that as many years as I've been privileged to be part of this community, someone would "assume" that I was not as stupid as those who had never had ANY dealings with the Coco, and would be "assumed" that I know enough to NOT put an IBM, Atari, or RSDos disk and try to access it.

You want information, I will give as much information as I can provide. Actually, I DO have a clean NitrOS-9 formatted disk loaded in my physical drive. And the nos96809l2v030300coco3_dw.dsk has been booted using HDB-Dos 1.4 DW3 Coco 3 into DriveWire 4.3.30 (06/13/2013), by a VIRGIN FD-501 Tandy controller controlling a dual vertical set of 3 1/2" drives, and a TRIAD 512K SRAM Upgraded Coco3 with no MPI attached that have shown no signs of errors. The Coco 3, DriveWire 4, and the drives have NOT been showing any OTHER SIGNS of errors. The DMODE settings of the /dn drives running with the nos96809l2v030300coco3_dw.dsk had been modified (DMODE /d0 typ=21 cyl=50) and re-cobbled.

The aforementioned 'problem' floppy  disk had been previously formatted using a disk-based version of nos96809l2v030300coco3_dw with no problems. I had copied Bill Pierce's utilities on it, and was trying to access the disk while the Coco was running DriveWire 4.

Any more information will be provided upon request.