[Coco] error 249

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Fri Mar 17 14:38:39 EDT 2017

Bill wrote:
> I'm using Drivewire 4 and nos96809l2v030300coco3_dw.dsk, and when I try to
> access a physical drive, I get an ERROR 249 message. Does anyone have a
> solution to this? I can format to the physical drive, and after that, II get
> the ERROR 249 again

Bill,

That errors meaning can be found by entering
error 249
You will get
249 - Wrong Type
which at first glance won't mean much. Based on the sparse information you have supplied, it should
mean that you don't have an OS-9 disk loaded in your "physical drive."

Now you have said that you can format a physical drive, but how do you know that the format worked?
Have you checked your drive descriptors with dmode? What is the exact nature of your system?

Without more information about your system, there is no good way to provide useful information. I
can say that with the disk you mentioned mounted in DW4 disk 0, and a floppy in one of my drives on
a Coco3, I can read my floppy and not get a 249 error.

Robert