[Coco] MAME Compile times on a RPi

Ron Klein ron at kdomain.org
Wed Mar 15 13:00:21 EDT 2017

Hi Tim,

Compiling MAME on a RPi3 takes quite some some time (3 to 6 hours)
depending on compiler directives.  I need to check to see about cross
compiling for ARM architecture.  I know there are some library dependencies
that would need to be met in order for this to work -- especially around
the video hardware acceleration part (SDL2).

For those who want to get the latest MAME up and running quickly under
Raspbian, there's a nice way to do it from this tutorial:

http://choccyhobnob.com/tutorials/compiling-mame-on-raspberry-pi/

If you update the latest Raspbian with the GCC 6.xx compiler and add the
SDL2 libraries, you can download precompiled versions of MAME from this
site as well:

http://choccyhobnob.com/software/mame/

-Ron