[Coco] BASIC format questions

William Astle lost at l-w.ca
Mon Mar 13 16:23:22 EDT 2017

On 2017-03-13 02:05 PM, tim lindner wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 12:04 PM, John W. Linville
> <linville at tuxdriver.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 12:39:47PM -0600, William Astle wrote:
>>> The 1Exx bits are, indeed, the address of the next line in the program.
>>> However, those addresses as stored in the file are not critical information.
>>> They are recalculated when a program is loaded. You can basically ignore
>>> them unless you're messing with the Color Basic interpreter itself. The only
>>> restriction is that they cannot be set to 0000 since that will be
>>> interpreted as the end of the program. Any non-zero value in the program
>>> file will work just fine, even if it's all the same value.
>>>
>>> In case I buried the lead there, both LOADM and CLOADM recalculate those
>>> next line address pointers after reading the program.
>>
>> <nerdvoice>
>>
>> Ummm, actually...I think you mean "buried the lede":
>>
>> http://grammarist.com/usage/lead-lede/
>>
>> </nerdvoice>
>>
>> Sorry, but if anything I thought you might actually enjoy this bit
>> of pedantry... :-)
>
> <double nerdvoice>
>
> I think he also meant LOAD and CLOAD.
>
> </double nerdvoice>

Indeed. I've been dealing with binary stuff so much lately I think I
just reflexively put the "M".

Regarding "lede" - truth be told, I've never heard of "lede". The "lede"
spelling is listed as "chiefly US" while the "lead" spelling is listed
as normal everywhere else. It does also make sense since "lede" and
"lead" used to be alternate spellings of the same word. Additional
sources indicate that "lede" didn't appear in that context until around
1959 with "lead" being the form shown in reference material prior to then.