[Coco] CoCo 2 Video

Rogelio Perea os9dude at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 13:32:24 EDT 2017

On Sun Mar 12 2017, Peter Cetinski wrote:

The RF output on my CoCo 2 is just difficult to look and work with.  Was it
> really this bad when I was kid? :) I haven't had this issue with the Z80
> machines as they all come with decent terminal-grade video systems.  What
> current options are available to upgrade the video on the CoCo?  How do you
> achieve the best RF results?

With the RF output your mileage will vary.

First thing is to never use cheap audio cable to hook up the RCA output of
the CoCo into the RF input of your TV.

I have used for the longest time a video grade short run of RG-6 coax cable
(12 to 24 inches long) fitted with an RCA-to-F female adapter on one end
(coax patches usually come with F connectors on both ends). This setup has
provided me with a clean very pleasing experience using my CoCo 1 F board
with a regular 9" Color TV.

If the proper coax cable doesn't fix your TV monitor view then its time to
check on using a different TV set (it can happen their RF input is messed
up) and at worst case the CoCo's output.

-- RP