[Coco] Radio shack layoffs, store closing, etc... Goodbye, and thanks for the memories?

William Astle lost at l-w.ca
Wed Mar 8 10:48:13 EST 2017

On 2017-03-08 08:27 AM, Steve C. wrote:
> I went to our local Radio Shack "going out for business" sale last weekend,
> and left with nothing after seeing the appalling prices. 20% off of a $120
> BB-8 when the same toy sells at Target for $79 is not exactly evidence of a
> fire sale, more that they plan on gouging as many fools as possible as they
> go down in flames. Circuit Writer pen that sells elsewhere for $14 was $20
> at the Shack.

That's exactly what Target's "going out of business" sale in Canada
looked like. They barely had things discounted. Yet they somehow managed
to sell things off. (Target did not understand the Canadian market and
severely mismanaged their expansion into it a few years back. And then
failed miserably and pulled out.)

Alas, most people see "20% off" and assume it's a deal rather than
comparing the resulting price after the discount. Basically exploiting
psychology there. Thing is, they don't need vast thundering herds coming
through to make that work. They just need to fool just enough people to
liquidate what stock they have.