[Coco] DECB -> Pi2/3

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Mon Mar 6 19:44:49 EST 2017

> On Mar 6, 2017, at 4:58 PM, James Ross <jrosslist at outlook.com> wrote:
>
> Ah... yes. Even back when I was using OS-9 II, '89-'92 time-frame , I was aware of both OS-9000, written in C (primarily for the 32bit PC's...) and also OS-9/68k for the 68000 and greater CPU's -- which I think, at the time was still in 68k Assembler? (not sure about that -- but I seem to remember reading that?)

Yep, to this day, OS-9 68K is still assembly except for some utilities and such. The kernel was, like, 28K. You couldn’t do a printf() program in C that small ;-)

It looks like the current Microware focuses only on PowerPC and ARM platforms. I know they still have/had a bunch of legacy support for 68K, but I doubt there’s any in-house knowledge left to maintain 68K assembly kernels, file managers, and device drivers.

> But they were back then and *still* are to this day, actual commercial for sale products, right?  So not exactly hobby level stuff, not to mention open source like NitrOS9 is.

Yes, still available for sale, with three offices around the world selling and supporting it. Personal OS-9’s last huzzah was probably the MM/1, Delmar, WCP306 (?) and similar items in the early 90s.

		— A