[Coco] DECB -> Pi2/3

Bill Gunshannon bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 6 17:58:52 EST 2017

From: Coco [coco-bounces at maltedmedia.com] on behalf of Dave Philipsen [dave at davebiz.com]
Sent: Monday, March 6, 2017 4:37 PM
To: CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts
Subject: Re: [Coco] DECB -> Pi2/3

You know about OS9000, right?  It was an OS9 derivative from Microware
that was written in C and compiled to run on 80x86, Power PC, and 68000
platforms.  There's probably no reason that it couldn't also be made to
work on an ARM machine too.  I wrote some software back in the 90s that
ran under OS9000 on an 80486 but it was compiled C code, not directly
written in assembler.  I still have the install disks for OS9000 but I
don't know if they're good.

_______________________________

Sure, but what good does that do any of us?  It's not free.  It's not available in
source so it certainly isn't portable.  It runs (or is it ran now?) on a very limited
hardware set (the PC version did not run on all PC's we tried it at the University.)
And probably worst of all, it was bloated.  One of OS-9's strengths was the size.

Maybe when I understand the inards better I will try once again at porting it
to something else.  But right now I am not even sure what would constitute
a minimal functionaing system.  (I also have another 6809 based box I would
love to have it on for reasons most people here probably would never understand,
the original TAPR TNC 1)  :-)

bill