[Coco] Extended BASIC Helper Utilities

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Wed Mar 1 21:53:45 EST 2017

On Wednesday 01 March 2017 21:12:47 Paulo Garcia wrote:

> I read in one Rainbow the other day from 1986 (Can't remember the
> issue!) about one of these utilities that are resident and expand the
> editing capabilities under BASIC.
>
> Do you guys know any utility like that that can be used with the
> CoCo3?
>
> Meanwhile I am trying to find the article again to get the name....
>
> thanks!

> Paulo

You may be thinking of Jake Commander's chromakey, originally written to
load just below the $8000 in memory, which ate about a kilobyte of
basics already limited memory.  So I added a loader that put it above
disk extended basic. But when the coco2 came out, it was broken because
Jake hardcoded the keyboard polling address instead of the indirect
address located in the first few bytes of rsdos at $8000. I fixed that
too.  Then the coco3 came out and it used that memory so I abandoned it
since I was then well into os9, finding it far more capable, and a heck
of a lot easier to write code for.  And with the patched tsedit, with
its buffer of 56k, I was in hog heaven.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)