[Coco] MysticBBS

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Tue Jun 27 07:30:01 EDT 2017

On Tuesday 27 June 2017 02:04:42 RETRO Innovations wrote:

> On 6/26/2017 10:46 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > I never knew that Jim, thanks. What I do know is that for my local
> > home network, which currently has 6 to 8 machines on it, the ssh -Y
> > name at host just works.
>
> Hmm, I don't need to do -Y.  Just ssh brain at dilbert (dilbert host
> names here for the servers) to get in.  What is -Y?

See man ssh. It allows x11 forwarding under some conditions.  I can run
linuxcnc -l (-l runs the last used configuration) and get the gui it
would open on its own screen, on this machines screen. The x connection
is slower and one shouldn't move the machine because you can neither see
it nor hear it, but it can come in handy to prove that the gcode I'm
composing doesn't exceed the machines limits. X11Forwarding must also be
allowed in /etc/ssh/ssh.conf of course.

> I also port forward using ssh, but that's more parms on the cmd line.

I do only a limited NAT etc in the router.  Thats how you see this
machine at the link in the sig. The router of course is reflashed with
dd-wrt, an ever vigilant guard dog with very sharp teeth. It also
forwards dns requests to my ISP, and can serve as a dhcpd server, but
all the usual suspects here are in the /etc/hosts files.  Its worked
well for 19 years of a linux only environment here.  I'm sorta
anti-winders here as I'm sure you've noted. Its a script kiddy and virus
magnet. A whole industry has grown up trying to make windows secure. It
is gradually getting there but you still have to feed that 800 gorilla
in Redmond. Linux is secure by design, and security bugs, once
discovered, are generally quickly stomped, once about 6 years back in 4
hours, but usually before its a well known "zero day" attack.

> Jim
>
> --
> RETRO Innovations, Contemporary Gear for Classic Systems
> www.go4retro.com
> store.go4retro.com

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)