[Coco] MAME problems .186

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Sun Jun 25 10:30:11 EDT 2017

David Ladd wrote:
><snip>
>
> ​I would agree that 0 through 3 be on by default, but there were a lot of
> people I knew that used double sided drives that 3 was the max.  I myself
> never knew anyone whom used 4 single sided drives.  Not saying it isn't
> possible, but turning all 4 on would then require those of us who need
> double sided drives to turn off the 4th drive.  Since the 4th drive is the
> head select.
>
> Though this is really my opinion on this based on how the real hardware
> worked and how most people I knew used them as well as myself that drives
> 0, 1, & 2 should be on and drive 3 off.
>
> On my system I used for drive 0 a 40 track 5.25" drive, drive 1 was a 80
> track 5.25" drive, and drive 2 was a 3.5" floppy drive.  Drive 2 was used
> as both a 720KB and 1.44MB drive.​  As I actually had a modded 12V FDC
> controller that could do HD, but putting the HD aside.
>

>> Robert
>>

>> --
>>

> +-----------------------------------------------------------------------+
> | David Ladd a.k.a. PacoOtaktay a.k.a. Drencor                          |
> | YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/PacoOtaktay                      |
> | YouTube Gaming Live: https://gaming.youtube.com/user/PacoOtaktay/live |
> | Websites: http://dwladd.com     &     http://www.theterrorzone.com    |
> | G+:  https://plus.google.com/113262444659438038657                    |
> | G+:  https://plus.google.com/+DavidLaddPacoOtaktay                    |
> | Do you have your CoCo 3 yet?                                          |

Well on a real Coco, regardless of whether the drives are double or single sided, all four drives
are always active. The data in the ROM should determine which physical drive turns on. The fourth
drive should ONLY turn on with side-select active and drive number inactive.
If MESS/MAME behaves differently now (it used to work correctly), then there is a bug in the emulator.

Robert