[Coco] MAME problems .186

David Ladd davidwladd at gmail.com
Sun Jun 25 00:31:01 EDT 2017

On Sat, Jun 24, 2017 at 3:35 PM, Robert Gault <robert.gault at att.net> wrote:

> Michael R. Furman wrote:
>
>> Tim,
>>
>> You realize the missing code makes it impossible to use MESS/MAME to run
>> Nitros9 without modifying all of the disk images.
>>
>> I’ve just submitted an issue on GitHub:
>>

>> coco*: Unable to boot Nitros9 disk images from official distribution site
>> https://github.com/mamedev/mame/issues/2405
>>

>> Michael R. Furman
>> Email: n6il at ocs.net
>> Phone: +1 (408) 480-5865
>>

> There is another problem with MAME regards Coco disks in
> src\devices\bus\coco\coco_fdc.cpp.
> Under LOCAL VARIABLES
>         MCFG_FLOPPY_DRIVE_ADD(WD_TAG ":0", coco_fdc_floppies, "qd",
> coco_fdc_device_base::floppy_formats)
>         MCFG_FLOPPY_DRIVE_SOUND(true)
>         MCFG_FLOPPY_DRIVE_ADD(WD_TAG ":1", coco_fdc_floppies, "qd",
> coco_fdc_device_base::floppy_formats)
>         MCFG_FLOPPY_DRIVE_SOUND(true)
>         MCFG_FLOPPY_DRIVE_ADD(WD_TAG ":2", coco_fdc_floppies, nullptr,
> coco_fdc_device_base::floppy_formats)
>         MCFG_FLOPPY_DRIVE_SOUND(true)
>         MCFG_FLOPPY_DRIVE_ADD(WD_TAG ":3", coco_fdc_floppies, nullptr,
>
> In my opinion, the default condition should be that all four drives be
> available. So it should be:
>         MCFG_FLOPPY_DRIVE_ADD(WD_TAG ":0", coco_fdc_floppies, "qd",
> coco_fdc_device_base::floppy_formats)
>         MCFG_FLOPPY_DRIVE_SOUND(true)
>         MCFG_FLOPPY_DRIVE_ADD(WD_TAG ":1", coco_fdc_floppies, "qd",
> coco_fdc_device_base::floppy_formats)
>         MCFG_FLOPPY_DRIVE_SOUND(true)
>         MCFG_FLOPPY_DRIVE_ADD(WD_TAG ":2", coco_fdc_floppies, "qd",
> coco_fdc_device_base::floppy_formats)
>         MCFG_FLOPPY_DRIVE_SOUND(true)
>         MCFG_FLOPPY_DRIVE_ADD(WD_TAG ":3", coco_fdc_floppies, "qd",

​I would agree that 0 through 3 be on by default, but there were a lot of
people I knew that used double sided drives that 3 was the max.  I myself
never knew anyone whom used 4 single sided drives.  Not saying it isn't
possible, but turning all 4 on would then require those of us who need
double sided drives to turn off the 4th drive.  Since the 4th drive is the
head select.

Though this is really my opinion on this based on how the real hardware
worked and how most people I knew used them as well as myself that drives
0, 1, & 2 should be on and drive 3 off.

On my system I used for drive 0 a 40 track 5.25" drive, drive 1 was a 80
track 5.25" drive, and drive 2 was a 3.5" floppy drive.  Drive 2 was used
as both a 720KB and 1.44MB drive.​  As I actually had a modded 12V FDC
controller that could do HD, but putting the HD aside.

> Robert

​

| David Ladd a.k.a. PacoOtaktay a.k.a. Drencor                          |
| YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/PacoOtaktay                      |
| YouTube Gaming Live: https://gaming.youtube.com/user/PacoOtaktay/live |
| Websites: http://dwladd.com     &     http://www.theterrorzone.com    |
| G+:  https://plus.google.com/113262444659438038657                    |
| G+:  https://plus.google.com/+DavidLaddPacoOtaktay                    |
| Do you have your CoCo 3 yet?                                          |