[Coco] MAME/MESS Binary Builds for OS X

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Fri Jun 16 10:36:46 EDT 2017

I downloaded the latest Mame windows exec from the dev site just to check it out yesterday. There's a lot of things I like about Mess, but in NitrOS9, there's just too many things I find annoying. I would rather use VCC, but that's just me and what I'm used to.
One of my big complaints is Mame's odd interface. I usually fix this by using a MessUI and get all the menus, but I decided to work with the Mame UI for my tests. I was playing around with the Win64 binary when I noticed something odd...
When the icon for the binary showed, it was for a "Zip" file...
When I run Mame, it seems to take forever to load and now I know why. I right clicked the exec file, opened it in 7-zip and sure enough, it WAS a zip.
Unzipping the file revealed tons of stuff. After moving my roms to the new folder, I ran the "mame64.exe" that I found and what's this? There's a completely different GUI... A complete launcher and control panel!!!
All of a sudden, I had access to all the stuff available in the MessUI, but in the format of the Mame menus, just more detailed.

What I want to know is why was all this hidden? Why not a proper installer that reveals all this?

And the test results?
Sorry, but I'll still put up with VCC's quirks as Mame's still just too much trouble when I want to just crank up and go. I don't play games, so I don't see most of the quirks in VCC that everyone else complains about and NitrOS9 runs 100% better in VCC. Mames overclocking methods just do not work for the Coco emulation and makes the keyboard unusable and the system clock speeds up making software dating impossible (NitrOS9 dates every file use).

Mame is good for many things and I wish VCC had it's debugger and I can see why gamers like it better, but for my purposes, I'll stick with VCC... for now :-)

Bill Pierce

Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia

E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com