[Coco] Repro Run for Wordpak or Wordpak 2+ a Wordpak SE if you will.

CoCo Demus retrocanada76 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 11 15:53:56 EDT 2017

The first workpak I did I just cloned an old CRT9123 cart I got from
cloud-9, but I changed the address to be configurable. This pak outputs
composite but the front and back porch in this device are to small what
causes the first and last columns not visible on TVs or monitors. You
cannot change this parameters as it is masked into the CRT chip. The
visible area is roughly 77 characters.

The second I did wasn't in fact a wordpak per se, it's a Yamaha V9958
msx-engine chip with 128K of VRAM. You can display high resolution 512x428i
or have up to 19K colors on screen using the compressed video modes (YJK).
Sprites and hardware scrollers all performed by the V9958.

For a new wordpak I'd vote for a CRT 6545 (or 6845) like the original PBJ's
WordPakII but using address $FF7x

But I would also include a composite input (getting the 6847 output, you
will need to add a composite output to your coco1/2) and be able to
soft-switch the output: either the VDG or the 6545, this would make a
seamless 80 column mode pretty much like the BI-80 on C64:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMT9XMZ0avs&t=1s

I'd take one :)