[Coco] CoCo Coding Continues - Chapter 22 in BASIC - GET and PUT is available

Steve Strowbridge ogsteviestrow at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 14:20:41 EDT 2017

I have been highly motivated to continue to work on the project of
documenting the process of learning to program in BASIC for the Color
Computer by doing my chapter-by-chapter YouTube series.  The goal is to
finish the book, and start working on new, original game projects in BASIC.

Leading up to CoCoFEST! time grew shorter, and the real world demands on me
post FEST! are proving little time to do the actual leg work to make
significant progress.

I started blogging this recently, showing incremental progress and sharing
some of the thoughts and ideas I was working on to make new demo programs.

This has come to a head with the completion of recording, editing and
releasing chapter 22 covering the highly useful GET and PUT commands.

Video:
https://youtu.be/SdFOJVdPSAo

Blog Post:
http://ogsteviestrow.com/chapter-22-get-and-put-its-a-wrap/

I have started making my virtual floppy disks containing all of my sample
programs available, and these latest demos are included in the latest blog
post.

GET and PUT are the graphical versions of Copy and Paste and allow you to
capture a piece of graphics data, and reproduce it anywhere else on the
screen.  These can be used to create animation, be used to simulate
sprites, and can even be used to scroll areas of, or the entire screen.

Doing all this in BASIC comes at a heavy toll of CPU overhead so the speed
isn't arcade or commercial quality, but the things you can pull off are
quite impressive with just a few commands, and some ingenuity.

I have taken it upon myself to create a custom demo that hopefully provides
a much better visual representation of what all the various PUT options
are, from PSET, to PRESET, to AND, OR, NOT, show how various combinations
of colors/pixels/bits combine (or don't) depending on what gets "put" on
top of what, and closed out the show with an "epic" cheesy demo showing a
rocket ship blast off and "fly" through space, including some "fancy" page
flipping/double buffering techniques I used as a kid.

I hope this video is worthy of the power that GET and PUT allows us, and
hope people like it.

#becausecoco

Steve Strowbridge, aka
The Original Gamer Stevie Strow