[Coco] Basic09 versions

Wayne Campbell asa.rand at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 22:01:54 EDT 2017

For a long time I have known this, but have not been able to prove it. When
I first got into the CoCo it was a CoCo2 Korean model and OS-9 Level 1. I
also had the Level 1 Basic09. When I got my CoCo3 and OS-9 Level 2, I
compared the two versions of Basic09. There were only 3 differences.

Level 1
4K default buffer size
01.00.00 version number in the display text at the top of the module
CRC was not the same as Level 2 Basic09

Level 2
8K default buffer size
01.00.01 version number in the display text at the top of the module
CRC was not the same as Level 1 Basic09

I have never found a disk image of the Level 1 Basic09 disk. It was sold
separately from OS-9 Level 1. I have found the Dragon version of Basic09
Level 1 (version 01.00.00), but it has a different display text from the
CoCo version.

I had all but given up hope of ever finding a copy of the CoCo Basic09
Level 1 disk (or an image). Today I was thinking about it, and decided to
so some searching. Lo and behold, I found what appears to be a pristine
copy for sale on EBay. The description says "untested", but the disk and
manual and box look brand new! There are 3 photos. The middle photo is a
closeup of the disk in its sleeve. The lower left portion of the exposed
disk shows the version number 01.00.00.

I want this! It is for sale for $89.99 or best offer, and the shipping is
only $3.61. I have enough cash, but I don't have a credit card. There are 5
people watching it, and the time left is 19 days, 20 hours. No one has made
an offer yet. If I can get my friend to use his card, I am going to buy it
today. Once I have it, I will need to know if someone on this list is here
in Los Angeles and can make an image of the disk, and possibly scan the
manual without destroying it. Then I can add them to the archive and we
will have the original Basic09 and manual to go with the Level 1 system.

Wish me luck on getting it!

--
Wayne

The Structure of I-Code