[Coco] CoCo crew old car reference

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Fri Jun 2 22:45:39 EDT 2017

On Friday 02 June 2017 19:56:15 Ron Klein wrote:

> Hi Gene,
>
> You just keep getting better with age, sir.  Love the fact you dig
> cars!
>
> Can we get a Coco for cars mail list?  :)
>
> Thanks for sharing!
>
> -Ron

Thanks Ron. A decade later, married to a good woman, I got into go-karts,
class C super at the time, so I've put some time in one of those things.
Curious to see what it top speed might have been while burning gas (I
used quite a bit of castor oil and booze at the tracks) I had a friend
with a big olds he was pretty proud of give me a tow to get started one
Sunday afternoon when I was living near Rapid City, and once It was
running, I dropped the tow rope & waved him on. While the olds was
laying a thin cloud of black smoke, I pulled out to see what was coming,
nailed it and blew the doors off that olds.  Ran off and got lost, then
about 6 miles on up the canyon a motor mount came loose so I had to
coast to a stop just before an old abandoned school.  He came over the
hill behind me with that olds singing soprano, but got stopped just past
me. I picked the master link in the drive chain and he towed me back to
the house with what was left of the tow rope.  I asked what he was
topping at once we were home and he said about 135 on one straight about
a mile after I'd passed, and never under 85.  I'd never lifted my foot,
taking those corners with lots a rear end hanging out.  I learned more
about handling corners on the ragged edge than I ever learned in a std
sized car. Bending up the grocery getter is bad form.

To this day, if you really want to learn how to drive, put in 4 or 5
years in the seat of a 20+ horsepower, 120+ mph go-kart.  That
experience stood me in very good stead a few times on motorcycles.  I am
here today because I knew what to do when things get "interesting"
during about 250,000 miles on 2 wheels.  But as I went past 60 yo, I had
sense enough to know my reflexes weren't up to the ragged edge stuff
anymore, so I sold my last ride before it did me in.  Like Clint said in
one of his movies, a man has got to know his limits.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)