[Coco] VCC full screen mode and Windows 10

James Ross jrosslist at outlook.com
Thu Jun 1 17:08:57 EDT 2017

You heard about the guy that went to the doctor and was lifting his elbow up to shoulder height, up and down a few times, saying; “Hey doc it hurts when I do this” and the doctor looked it over… paused… stood back and said – “ok, well, don’t do that” … Ha! -- couldn’t resist!

The full screen mode you’re talking about resets the video mode on your card to a lower resolution. Some cards/drivers do a better job at bouncing back and forth between modes like that.  Also your monitor has to discover the new mode and re-sync too it too – pretty disruptive.  ALSO there will be no way to fix the aspect ratio in this “full screen” mode w/o major changes to the rendering code.

The solution is pretty much what you are suggesting (I think).

In addition to the normal maximize that fills the screen but leaves the menu’s and status bar, like this

http://jamesross.biz/images/DeleteLater4.png

You hit the maximize button on the windowed screen to get this – not the shortcut key (F11 I think)

My plan is to add an option that changes the “full screen” mode to remain in windowed mode but hide the borders / menus / statusbar / mouse / etc – until you hit the shortcut key to go those back.  I’ll leave the old mode as an option for people who might still prefer that video mode change – someone said it’s 800x600 – I’m thinking it’s 640x480 – because that is what the rendering code ALWAYS assumes.

This change should be in the next “official” update that Bill is talking about – but working alone it, still looking a few weeks (or more??)… in the meantime, the link I provided w/ my current executable does work – but the Becker module is broke.

James

From: Coco <coco-bounces at maltedmedia.com> on behalf of Wayne Campbell <asa.rand at gmail.com>
Subject: [Coco] VCC full screen mode and Windows 10

I finally tried putting VCC into full screen mode today. I like the way it
looks, but I don't like what it does to the Windows 10 windows when I go
back to normal mode.

Every window I have open, as well as a few apps that I don't, are in the
upper-left corner of the screen and are all the same size as the normal VCC
window. It took me some time to get them back the way I had them before. I
don't think this is the way VCC should behave.

Along with a fix to this, I would like to see VCC support the maximize
button and maximize the window instead of forcing the user to use
full-screen. I need to switch windows alot and full-screen does not make
this easy. And with my eyes these days, the normal window is almost too
small to read.

Thanks to all of you who are working to make VCC better. This isn't a
complaint as much as a feature request.

--
Wayne

The Structure of I-Code