[Coco] What is the interest in watching Text Adventure play through videos?

Steve Strowbridge ogsteviestrow at gmail.com
Sun Jul 23 14:36:24 EDT 2017

I have wrestled with this in my mind, it's odd enough to me to process the
fact that people like watching CoCo videos in general, which I'm thankful
for, but you can sort of rationalize, in  your head, that
graphics/sound/music/etc., may be part of the appeal.

But what about text adventures?  Ironically, text adventures were the
bigger draw for me to get a computer over an Atari 2600 at the time, the
idea of the interactive fiction, the theater of the mind, and trying to
solve a mystery all appealed to me.

It played to my fascination of playing the paper and dice version of
Dungeons and Dragons when I was like 12, so for me, Adventure games are a
big part of my early computing history, and are some of my fondest
memories, and frustrations, too.

But how does that translate into a medium that may have an "audience" I've
often wondered, and I've resisted testing this, until just now.

I've done my first video of the CoCo version of Bedlam, which I think I
only ever remember solving like twice, and the first time in 30 years I
played it, I was able to solve it as well.

Here is the video:
https://youtu.be/_I0LvMPTkoo

Warning, it's about 30 minutes, and it's just the nuclear green screen, and
this old guy rambling, so drink some coffee before you start watching.

Is this of interest to anyone else, is what I'm wondering aloud.

We have had a few talks in the past of possibly doing a live stream of
playing an adventure game and getting more people involved, that way it's a
little more interactive, it's less of "one person's journey" and we can
even crowd source assistance for the people watching with us.

Does that sound interesting?  Ultimately I'd love to go through the food
chain of the small to large text adventures and then move up to some of the
graphical ones, and even, ultimately the Sierra On-Line ones.

Again, I wonder who'd watch....  The early verdict, is Bedlam, less than 24
hours later, has 60 views already, which is encouraging, I wonder if it's a
fluke, or, if this could become "a thing"

Love to hear some people weigh in on this, and love to hear about who'd be
interested in collaborating with me on future productions, especially the
live stream/community ones.

Thanks!

Steve Strowbridge, aka
The Original Gamer Stevie Strow
Website/Merchandise/CoCo links page:
http://ogsteviestrow.com
Email:  ogsteviestrow at gmail.com
Get your "Game Play Goodnes" fix of CoCo and retro videos at:
http://youtube.com/ogsteviestrow