[Coco] CoCo TALK #18 an introduction to OS9

Kip Koon computerdoc at sc.rr.com
Sun Jul 23 08:05:41 EDT 2017

Hi Rick,
I think we might share a similar passion.  I like exploring how the system software works especially when it comes to NitrOS-9.
On the yahoo group Coco3FPGA there is a file called "NitrOS-9 Setup for Coco3FPGA.zip".  This is a link to my dropbox of the same file.
< https://www.dropbox.com/s/xq67el8adcapij4/NitrOS-9%20Setup%20for%20Coco3FPGA.zip?dl=0>
This file has everything you need to take a TERASIC DE-1 from nothing to self-booting into NitrOS-9 with plenty of instructions.
I know you have a Coco 3 and this document is for the DE-1, but I thought you might glean some information you need from it.  The Coco3FPGA specific drivers would of course not apply.  Use the latest disk image files in the NitrOS-9 build zip file link below.
If you need me to create a Coco 3 version of this document, just let me know.  If you would like to have a local NitrOS-9 Repository of your own, just let me know and I would be happy to let you know how I did it.  You can download a copy of the source code for NitrOS-9 at the following url.
< https://sourceforge.net/projects/nitros9/>
You have to have a Linux setup to build it.  I am currently using Cygwin64 running on Windows 7 to build my NitrOS-9 Repository into the latest disk image files suitable for putting on the CocoSDC, Floppies, etcetera.
There is a web page of prebuilt NitrOS-9 disk images, but I can't seem to find where it is located so I will build you a brand new set.
I have a local NitrOS-9 Repository pulled from the master NitrOS-9 repository so I can build disks with the latest source code.
I started the NitrOS-9 build last night before going to bed.  I left the build running all night.  I know 'cause I checked on it several times before finally falling to sleep.
(The next morning after running the build all night.)  My build finally finished sometime during the night.  After inspecting the new disk image files, I noticed that some of the file names have changed so there are NitrOS-9 build files dated 5-25-2017 in among the NitrOS-9 build files dated 7-22-2017.  Obviously the later dated .dsk files are the ones to use.  Here is the link to my dropbox for the "nitros9 2017-07-22.zip" file.
< https://www.dropbox.com/s/1z9kq9yv9187iz5/nitros9%202017-07-22.zip?dl=0>
As to creating custom builds, I have definitely done that too.  Many times ever since the very first version of OS-9 v01.00.00.  Wow!  That was a long time ago.  :)  Feel free to call on my help any time.  I'm on Skype if you would like to talk sometime.  Send me a private email for my details to connect up.  Have a lot of FUN exploring the Wide Wonderful World of NitrOS-9 on the Mighty Coco 3.  Take care my friend.

Kip Koon
computerdoc at sc.rr.com
http://www.cocopedia.com/wiki/index.php/User:Computerdoc