[Coco] Assemblers, compilers, etc.

Dave Philipsen dave at davebiz.com
Wed Jul 12 23:35:46 EDT 2017

You'd think that whatever tool Microsoft used to write the CoCo ROMs could have been used to write EDTASM. And the very similar MC6800 had been designed some four years earlier than the 6809. So whatever tools were in place for it could have been adapted.  In fact, once you have a core cross-assembler written it probably isn't too difficult to adapt it to many different CPUs.  A good example of this is the CSC assembler written by Bud Pass. There are at least 11 different cross-assemblers for 8-bit chips from Motorola, RCA, Intel, and Zilog that all derive from the same core. I believe there was only one file out of the four or five source files that actually changed to determine the personality of the assembler. And the program was written in C so it is easily ported to different platforms.  I now have the 6809 and 6502 assemblers running under both DOS and OS9 and I'm going to attempt to get them running under Linux too.

Dave