[Coco] Trying to build new images

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Wed Jan 11 10:51:25 EST 2017

On Wednesday 11 January 2017 08:16:01 Bill Gunshannon wrote:

> OK, next set of questions.
>
> Is rel a module or just a program?
>
> Why, you ask?
> I saved the file used to build the boot track and ran ident
> against it.  rel is listed as not a module and krn gets a bad
> header message.
>
> Looking at the source for rel it appears to have everything in
> it to be a module, but I'm no expert (yet!).
>
> Next, I tried to assemble rel.asm on my system.  It wouldn't
> assemble.  Are the sources not in a format recognized by the
> NitrOS9 asm command?
>
> Would the bad header in krn cause it to not execute?
>
> Anybody want to hazard a guess why these programs appear to be
> broken?  Or, are the results from ident bogus?
>
> Oh yeah, I tried running ident against rel and krn in other disk
> images with the same results.
>
> bill

Ident is broken when run against the track 34 contents because that track
is contaminated with a 6 byte rsdos header.  And a batch of trailing
bytes.

To see whats there, use my vfy with the -k option. The -k option turns it
into showing the 6 byte preamble that that rsdos needs to identify it as
an executable. vfy should then show the 3 modules that are in that
track, with good crc's, and the trailing bytes, usually filled with hex
39's up to the irq vectors that bring it up to a full 4608 bytes to fill
the track AND out those vectors at the correct locations in ram once rel
has done its thing. If you're not familiar with vfy, get it from my web
page. Put the vfy file in the archive in your cmds directory and run it
with no arguments. It will spit out its own help screen. It has many
options, and works on any file you want to change "insitu".

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)