[Coco] Trying to build new images

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Wed Jan 11 09:14:58 EST 2017

Ed, both rel and krn have special headers. Ironically, rel is not used after the system is relocated (hence "rel=relocator") and is loaded by DECB so it does not have a proper header. Krn has a some odd code at the beginning which disappears after relocation and the header is hidden behind that code. All 3, rel, boot, and krn are "filled" at the end to be a certain size to make the merged "kernel" a fixed size.
A lot of this was the premises of Brett's "CocoBoot" which did away with all this unneeded code (only needed while booting), which by the way is exactly how the bootrom for the Coco3FPGA works... it does away with rel & boot and replaces krn with ccbkrn which is loaded from the root dir.

Bill Pierce

Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
http://www.tandycoco.com/forum/

E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com