[Coco] VCC & Drivewire Communications

William Carlin whcarlinjr at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 18:23:01 EST 2017

I can only comment on the usage of DriveWire 4 with NitrrOS9.

Most network interaction is through the dw command.  For instance you can
copy a file from anywhere on your machine or the internet using the "dw
server list" command.  For example:

{N2|03}/DD:dw server list file:///C:/Coco.txt

This will list the contents of the Coco.txt file located in the root of
your C: drive to the screen.  Using the standard output re-director '>' you
can then save Coco.txt to the location of you choosing in the NitrOS9
filesystem.  Example:

{N2|03}/DD:dw server list file:///C:/Users/William/Documents/Coco/Coco.txt
> /d0/CoCo.txt

You can do this with both text and binary files.  Do note that you might
have to strip line feeds from text files as NitrOS9 only uses the carriage
return to advance the line.

To download from the Internet you can use

{N2|03}/DD:dw server list http://www.anyinternetserver.com/pages/page.html
> /d0/page.html
{N2|03}/DD:dw server list ftp://ftp.anyftpserver.com/pub/current/file.zip >
/d0/file.zip

You can also access files from CIFS or SMB shares (Windows Shared Folders)
using dw server list smb://server/share/file.txt > /d0/file.txt

Note that all path delimiters are forward slashes (/) even if referencing
files on Windows machines.  Also, any filename with spaces do not need to
be double quoted.  Only one path name at a time is allowed per command.  I
do not think you can use wildcards.  I am also not sure about providing
authentication for ftp, http(s), or smb.

The second way to access network resources is by virtual serial device.
The serial device has built in Hayes compatibility and can be used as a
virtual modem with most OS9 terminal software.  For example to use
SuperComm and connect to a BBS by telnet over TCP/IP.

{W14|03}/DD:supercomm /n

The at the working window,

AT10.0.0.1 6809

Will connect you via telnet to the server at 10.0.0.1 on port 6809.  The /n
device just uses the next available virtual serial device.  Alternately you
could specify which one to use: /N2

For more examples you can look at the DriveWire documentation here:
https://sourceforge.net/p/drivewireserver/wiki/Main_Page/

For direct access to the virtual serial drivers you can look at the source
code for the dw command and the inetd command at the NitrOS9 SoureForge
repository:
https://sourceforge.net/p/nitros9/code/ci/default/tree/