[Coco] Trying to build new images

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Sun Jan 8 12:49:06 EST 2017

Bill, I was only going on what you were providing. Also, I sent that email BEFORE you sent the one saying you could get all the way through.
I'm not sure what's going on. If the boot script works, then it should be creating a bootable file.
Either something is missing, or it is failing on the loading of external modules loaded by "sysgo". Several files must be in the root or cmds dir. These are:

Root:
sysgo (L2 only, sysgo should be in the boot in L1)
startup

/DD/CMDS:
shell
grfdrv (L2 only)
echo (used by startup)
setime (used by startup)
date (used by startup)
link (L2 only, used by startup)
load (L2 only, used by startup)

If you are using DW & HDBDOS, then the boot disks in the repo that I linked in the email should work to give you a base to create a new disk. Just put the disk in slot 0 of DW and type DOS. If you are trying to boot from a VHD, then that's a whole new ballgame.

As for how people build new boots, until recently, almost no one was building new boots. The OS9 users were getting to be few and most were just using the pre generated repo disks. I use NitrOS9 daily on real Cocos, emulators, and the Coco3FPGA. I create ALL my boots in OS9, but I do not use the system provided on the disks. I use the repo disks as a starter (disk based on what I need) then use cobbler & ezgen and build from there.
Like you, I don't like using PC tools to work with the Coco. I'd rather do it on the Coco. I do like to use the emulators as they give me speed when compiling C projects. Large C projects can take hours to compile on a Coco and with VCC overclocked, I can compile my projects in seconds.

Bill Pierce

Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
http://www.tandycoco.com/forum/

E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com