[Coco] Trying to build new images

Bill Gunshannon bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 8 11:38:53 EST 2017

On 1/8/17 10:05 AM, Bill Pierce via Coco wrote:
> Robert, first, he is trying to build a boot from/for L1... A daunting task to say the least LOL Probably not
>enough memory to run all the needed cmds. In fact, I don't think the shell in L1 supports all the script cmds.

Huh?  What scripts are you talking about?

This is the script from the system that I am trying to use.

-t
-x
tmode .1 pau=0
echo * NitrOS-9 Level 1 Boot Creation Script
echo *
echo * This script creates a bootable DriveWire 3 disk image
echo * using the dw.bl bootlist file.
echo *
echo * The resulting disk will boot NitrOS-9 from DriveWire drive 0.
echo *
prompt Insert a blank disk in /x1 and press a key:
echo *
echo * Step 1: Format disk in /x1
format /x1 "NitrOS-9 Level 1 Boot Disk" r
ynn
echo *
echo * Step 2: Create a custom boot track
del bttemp
merge ../MODULES/BOOTTRACK/rel ../MODULES/KERNEL/krn
../MODULES/KERNEL/krnp2 ../MODULES/SYSMODS/init
../MODULES/BOOTTRACK/boot_dw>bttemp
echo *
echo * Step 3: Create the bootfile and boot track
os9gen /x1 -t=bttemp<../BOOTLISTS/dw.bl
del bttemp
echo *
echo * Step 4: Populate the disk with essential files
copy ../MODULES/SYSMODS/sysgo_dd /x1/sysgo
makdir /x1/CMDS
copy -w=/x1/CMDS ../CMDS/shell
echo *
echo * We're done

What commands are not in Level1?  And, as stated previously, script
runs to completion with only one error and it's not really an error.
"del bttemp" fails because at that point "bttemp" does not yet exist.

> 2nd, I've found in most cases those scripts do not work as the syntax for copy does not match the version
> currently in the repo, so usually, grfdrv, sysgo, startup, and shell (or any of the cmds dir) do not get
> copied. I think it works with the old copy. There are other problems with those scripts that I have
> mentioned here on the list as they are old and do not reflect the current repo. Hopefully, that is
> getting ready to be changed.

I am truly confused by this.  Are we even talking about the same
scripts?

> 3rd, he's not using hdbdos and is trying to boot from a floppy disk or image.

Well, I am using an HDB-DOS ROM but once youi boot into NitrOS9 doesn't
that just sit on the side lines idle anyway with NitrOS9 handling all
the hardware access itself?  And I am booting from Drivewire and trying
to build what I thought would be the same image built on a different
drive.

> And Bill, most people actually build their disk images using the same utilities used to make the disks in
> the repo which are generated by PC tools (LWTools & ToolShed), and not in OS9.

Then why provide the scripts and bootlists at all? Why not just say
"you can't get there from here?"  I do not have a PC build environment
and I would really like to do this on OS9.  If I wanted to work on a PC
I would throw all the COCO's out and just work on a PC.  Heck, I don't
even run emulators.  :-)

bill