[Coco] Dragon64 / NitrOS9 Question

Ciaran Anscomb cocomalt at 6809.org.uk
Fri Jan 6 10:42:13 EST 2017

Bill Pierce via Coco wrote:
> Ciaran, a quick question... What is the "standard" setup for the
> "xroar.conf" to emulate a standard Dragon64 with disk for use with
> NitrOS9 L1?
>
> I have only used XRoar for Coco 2 emulation and have never set it up for
> Dragon64. This would be helpful in finishing my project.

I guess the "standard" is that you have the ROM images in its rompath,
and run with "-machine dragon64" (or put "default-machine dragon64" into
xroar.conf), and allow XRoar to use its heuristics to find everything.

Running with "-config-print-all" shows you most of the builtins, though
I notice it's not explicit about which ROM lists are used by machines
definitions by default; I should fix that.

But you can certainly tie things down in xroar.conf, e.g.:

-----CUT-----
# Start configuring a machine called "dragon64"
machine dragon64
  # Text description appears in menus or "-machine help"
  machine-desc Dragon 64
  # "dragon64" architecture enables alternate ROM select
  machine-arch dragon64
  # 6809 is nice and tested, 6309 is experimental
  machine-cpu 6809
  # Look specifically for "d64_1.rom" in rompath for Extended BASIC
  extbas d64_1.rom
  # Look specifically for "d64_2.rom" in rompath for the alternate BASIC
  altbas d64_2.rom
  # Yep, Dragon 64s are PAL
  tv-type pal
  # No fancy 6847T1 chips in a Dragon
  vdg-type 6847
  # Yes, a Dragon 64 has 64K...
  ram 64
  # Attach a cartridge definition called "dragondos" by default
  machine-cart dragondos

# Ok, configure this cartridge definition
cart dragondos
  # Again, a helpful text description
  cart-desc DragonDOS
  # Low level config for the cart
  cart-type dragondos
  # Specifically "ddos10.rom" for DragonDOS 1.0 - the original and buggiest!
  cart-rom ddos10.rom
  # Not enabled by default but let's be explicit about:
  # Not an autorunning (constantly triggering CART FIRQ) cart:
  no-cart-autorun
  # Doesn't map the "becker port" anywhere:
  no-cart-becker

# Running XRoar without options should try and start this machine def:
default-machine dragon64
-----CUT-----

The builtin "tano" machine definition is virtually identical, except for
"tv-type ntsc".

To have even more control you could specify a "rompath" so it didn't look
in any of the system default places, only your own supplied directory.

If you're providing a prewritten config and ROM selection, it might be
nice to have a list of defined specific variants of DragonDOS, though
if this is just for OS-9, it doesn't make any difference once the OS
has booted...

Oh, and if you really want to override *everything*, the "-no-builtin"
option (command line only) clears any builtin defintions.  XRoar will
die with an assertion if there are no machine definitions at all.

..ciaran