[Coco] Back to the COCO

Bill Gunshannon bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 4 14:20:40 EST 2017

On 1/4/17 1:47 PM, RETRO Innovations wrote:
> I think Mark's point is more direct when one considers that at least
> some 6809s are soldered directly to the board.
>
> Popping a new '09 into a socketed Coco is a minor annoyance ("Where did
> I stash thoses extra '09s, anyway") or a larger irritant if you're at a
> show ("Hey, cna you spare an '09 for a friend?"), but it's a major issue
> if your '09 is not socketed.
>
> Of course, the contrary in the group will counter that the non-socketed
> '09 owner will have to deal with the annoyance of unsoldering now or
> later, and later may never happen, which is fair, but if you run the
> odds and fail, Murphy will make sure you're broken when you have no
> soldering iron and no one to help.
>
> Jim
>
> P.S. Of course, this comes from a guy who, so far, has been too lazy to
> protect his '09 on his Coco3 and regularly abuses it.

Well, if it turns out that all that mine need are new 6809's I will
definitely be putting the Cloud9 product in both of them.  I could
easily see myself getting back into hardware hacking if I have the
equipment to do it.  Maybe something like slaving an Arduino to the
COCO  to give it networking or something to interface it to MindStorms.

bill