[Coco] Back to the COCO

Bill Gunshannon bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 1 17:30:35 EST 2017

On 1/1/17 5:03 PM, Bill Pierce via Coco wrote:
> Bill, sounds like dirty or misalligned heads as the drive seems to be looking for track 0. I would bet dirty since you tried multiple drives. Keep in mind, not only has your system been setting, but so have the disks. I had close to 200 disks and they had set for about 15 years. When I tried to read them, the drive head would immediately collect "residue" on it (black mylar dust, and sometimes mildew). I ended up cleaning the heads after every disk copy (90% alcohol & cotton swabs) and sometimes after just a couple of file copies, after which most of the disks were no longer readable. I was able to copy about 75% of my content but it was a one-time thing.  I had some disks that were flooded and under water after hurricane floyd (1999), some that were in a storage building with no heat/air, but dry, and some that were in my closet (basically, climate controlled). Oddly, the flooded disks almost all read after a little cleaning, most of the ones from storage would read. The ones in my closet gave me the most trouble and were the most unreliable.
>  Also, try reseatiung the GIME chip. This helps in a lot of cases for a lot of problems. Reseat any socketed chips, cleaning the pins and sockets as best you can.

Thanks for the suggestions, some further comments.  Disk drives work on
other vintage machines and PC's so I don't think it's the drives.  Teac
55-GFR is running out of any container so I can actually watch it work.
Too many different disks, both type and vintage, remember I also tried
3.5" which I have used on the COCO in the past.  As for the GIME, exact
same symptoms on a COCO2 so while still possible it seems highly
unlikely.

And, as stated, exact same symptom trying to do hard disks using the
Glenside and SCSI controller.  Of course, I have an SDC and it works
fine.  I guess the next test is to try the SUPERIDE.  It booted from an
already existing disk.  I will need to see if I can create new ones in
NitrOS9 and HDB-DOS.

Open to any other suggestions.  I haven't tried yet, but maybe I need to
set up an emulator with a real FDC and try the drives on that.  If I
figure out what it is I will post something here as I am sure others
have or will run into the same kind of problem as our systems age.

> Bill Pierce
> "Charlie stole the handle, and the train it won't stop going, no way to slow down!" - Ian Anderson - Jethro Tull

Not just Jethro Tull, Locomotive Breath!!

bill