[Coco] Creating and loading big machine code files into RSDOS

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Tue Feb 14 21:54:45 EST 2017

On 15/02/2017 12:37 PM, Glen Hewlett wrote:

> Wow that’s some setup you have Mark

I think my verbosity makes it sound more impressive than it really is...

> My job has nothing to do
> with coding.  I only code for fun.

Although my job involves coding, for the most part it has nothing to do
with 8- or 16-bit CPUs - that's purely for fun! I am fortunate in that
my work affords me access to IDAPro disassembler, something I would
definitely not want to do without! :O

Over the years I've worked with dozens of software development
environments for dozens of platforms, from Windows & Linux GUIs through
to PIC & 8051 micro-controllers.

Fully integrated coding/debugging suites are nice for sure, but you tend
to get locked into a specific environment and at times, if it's
something you only touch for maintenance every 6 months or so, there's
often a ramp-up time getting familiar with it all again. And as you
accumulate different projects, and their associated development
environments over time, it becomes a bit of a mess and good luck when
your machine dies and you have to reinstall it all again!

So for my own retro stuff, I like to keep it simple. One suite of
assemblers, the same command-line environment, and MAME/MESS for
debugging. I can even store the entire build toochain under version
control (SVN) with each project if I wish, because they're tiny by
today's standards. As a result, at any time I can pick up and work on my
Coco projects on either my work PC, home PC, or laptop, by simply
checking out the latest version from SVN.

And with my SVN repository hosted off-site, it's very unlikely I'll ever
lose my source code! ;)

Regards,

--
Mark McDougall