[Coco] CLARIFICATION (for JIM)...

John W. Linville linville at tuxdriver.com
Thu Dec 28 11:35:29 EST 2017

To be honest, Joe, I think your reply indicates that you have taken
too much offense. While I see that Jim already responded, please
indulge this additional response as well...

In my opinion, Jim very nicely explained to you (and anyone else
reading the list) why even a well-intended 'nudge' to a hobby producer
like Jim, Ed, Mark Marlette, John Strong, (dare I say) myself or
others can easily be taken as being unreasonably demanding and/or
impertinent. I can only imagine that such was not your intent, that
if anything you only intended a little 'good fun' or whatever. But I,
for one, was glad to see Jim explain how such comments are not always
so much fun at the receiving end.

Others go too far the other way, heaping lavish praise and glory
on every little crumb someone releases. Some get so much praise for
every little thing that it surely must be embarassing! Such hollow
praise becomes white noise to the receiver and it just drowns the
overlooked. But I guess it is better than the typical CoCo reaction to
new projects a few years ago (scorn and the sound of crickets)...but,
I digress!

Anyway, I just felt compelled to put in a kind word. Jim is one of
the nicest fellows you will meet in the hobby. He comes across as a
gentleman, and conveys a genuine 'niceness' and friendly attitude. Come
out to an event like CoCoFEST! or Tandy Assembly to meet Jim in person,
and I'm sure you'll agree.

John

P.S. Usage of CAPITALS in e-mail has been considered equivalent to
SHOUTING at least since the BBS days, 25+ years ago. Whatever Jim's
academic credentials, he was not making an unusual interpretation of
your text.