[Coco] 512K AND Beyond??? How FAR Beyond???

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Dec 27 19:53:09 EST 2017

The CoCo3 uses a memory mapper chip so that 8 blocks of 8k each because only 64k
can be visible at once to the 6809. Because the 8 registers for choosing the
blocks have 8 bits each, you can have up to 256 blocks, which is 2 megs. Beyond
2 megs, you have to use the mapper differently.

If the OS doesn't test for the possibility of 1 or 2 megs, it's really just a
detection problem (based on the dumb assumption that no-one would have that
much), because once it knows how much RAM you have, all the rest works the same
up to 2 megs.