[Coco] 512K AND Beyond??? How FAR Beyond???

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Wed Dec 27 00:30:32 EST 2017

On Dec 26, 2017, at 11:23 PM, Joe Schutts via Coco <coco at maltedmedia.com> wrote:

> Another related question. If you have a 1 or 2 Meg system, is that memory even accessible from Basic or does accessing it require OS-9 only (or NitroOS-9)???
> Last question. Is it possible to access even more memory (higher than 2 Meg) with a CoCo 3 and if so WHY hasn't someone built (or even designed) a board and sell it here??? You listening Ed??? Just kidding...
> Thanks Everyone...

There was even an 8meg upgrade someone built.

But no, stock BASIC won’t use it. Neither will OS-9. You had to have special patches for OS-9 and then it could. I do not know if anyone modified any of the BIG BASIC type programs for those upgrades, but OS-9ers made real good use of it.

I am unaware of any software that was ever written to use it, though, Beyond OS-9, and even then, All it did was allow you to load more modules in memory at the same time, or have a larger RAM disk perhaps. Programs were still limited to fit within the 64K system area.

Though, Bank switching and stuff could have been used to get around that. I jus don’t think anyone needed it.