[Coco] CoCo 2 26-3127 keyboard issues

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Sat Dec 9 18:28:13 EST 2017

2017/12/10 6:50 "Christopher" <piperfox74 at gmail.com>:

> I have a “melted keyboard” 64K CoCo 2 (26-3127) that has some keyboard
issues. Several keys when pressed register as multiple different keys
pressed (e.g. pressing either “1” or “2” results in “12” appearing on
screen.) This happens on multiple rows with at least one key per row.

> Thoughts on what might be the issue? Repairable?

Launching into a treatise on decoding the key matrix with key rollover, and
looked back up after writing something about one at a time. Realized that
one-at-a-time was what you were talking about. Hah. No lesson on keyboard
decoding today.

Most likely, some spilled a soft drink or something on the keyboard in the
past and never got it clean.

Some keyboards can be cleaned and some can't, and some, if you clean them
too much, quit working, and some, having been cleaned once will start
shorting again.

Other than trying to clean it again, there are ways to reconstruct the
wiring, but you have to have a good maker mindset and a great bit of
patience. And you may end up having to put up with the fixed keys just
feeling different.

Taking the keyboard apart for a proper cleaning, to start with, is a job
that requires patience and coordination.