[Coco] msg from John Turner this morning

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sat Aug 26 21:58:39 EDT 2017

On Saturday 26 August 2017 20:36:58 RETRO Innovations wrote:

> [...]
> 3) Multiple Cartridge and EEPROM Paks.
> 4) A Universal MIDI Interface.
> 5) An HD Floppy Controller fully compatible with the original Tandy
> controller.
> 6) A Serial ATA Interface for hard drives.
> 7) MFM and SASI/SCSI Interfaces, including  Drive  Emulators  via
> FLASH  cards.
> 8) Universal Stereo Interfaces and recorders.
> 9) A 512K CoCo 1 and 2 upgrade, compatible  with  the  Jr  & Jr
> Banker  Board.
> 10) A flash and an SRAM based clone of the LowerKit (the fonts can
> be  changed
>      from the CoCo during operation).
> 11) A 2-Megabyte DAT for Dynamic and Static Ram.
> 12) RamZilla Replicas.
> 13) NoCan Replicas.
> 14) And hundreds of other designs.
>
> As well, I think we should ask JOhn Sr. to prioritize:
>
> Interesting and very useful:
>
> 5) An HD Floppy Controller fully compatible with the original Tandy
> controller.
> 6) A Serial ATA Interface for hard drives.
> 7) MFM and SASI/SCSI Interfaces, including  Drive  Emulators  via
> FLASH  cards.
> 8) Universal Stereo Interfaces and recorders.
> 9) A 512K CoCo 1 and 2 upgrade, compatible  with  the  Jr  & Jr
> Banker  Board.
> 10) A flash and an SRAM based clone of the LowerKit (the fonts  can
> be  changed
>      from the CoCo during operation).
> 11) A 2-Megabyte DAT for Dynamic and Static Ram.
> 12) RamZilla Replicas.
> 13) NoCan Replicas.
> 2) Several Static RAM upgrades for ALL CoCo Models.
>
> Less interesting and/or less useful:
>
> 1) Several Multi-Pak replacements.
> 3) Multiple Cartridge and EEPROM Paks.
> 4) A Universal MIDI Interface.
>
> Who knows? :-)
>
> 14) And hundreds of other designs.
>
> > Also, there may be some missing interpretation on John Turner Jr?
> > Did he just leave home, or has he left us completely as in passed
> > away?
>
> Yeah, in 2012, Jr said:
>
> "Who knows, maybe someday she will dump me and I'll return. "
>
> But, then John Sr. says:
>
> "So, here  I  sit,  missing  my  son,  and  deciding  to
> look through these files for nostalgia. His wishes  returned  to the
> forefront
> of my mind, and thus I've done my best to prepare these files in a
> manner  that
> may make them useful to the CoCo and  Dragon  Communities.  "
>
> It's possible he's just not talked to his Dad in a while, but it
> sounds a bit more concerning.
>
> > Here is a link to the video replay, this segment was at the very
> > end, where Jim showed the current designs and kind of went through
> > them, Barry Nelson also added to the discussion and interpretation.
> > https://youtu.be/Ni9HNcLc7kI
> >
> > The audio podcast version of this episode will be published
> > tomorrow, but it's not as interesting to listen to as it is to look

I assume I am not the only one who got the msg from John Sr.  And that
more than just I have his email.  So based on the enthusiasm exhibited
so far, a msg to John Sr. to skip the extra work, that this group has
several folks who can do it so he doesn't need to try and make it
production ready. I've even done some of my own much simpler designs and
milled the boards on one or the other of my cnc mills.

OTOH, if he feels like its unfinished work, and he feels the extra stuff
s/b be part  of the deal, then I would leave it up to him, as he may be
doing it to "keep himself out of the bars".  I do a lot of stuff and use
that phrase as an excuse myself.

But I don't think we would be 'out of line' to try and have a
conversation emphasizing that we do have people that can do it.

In any event, we owe him a huge thank you for all of it, and that needs
to be said.
> --
> RETRO Innovations, Contemporary Gear for Classic Systems
> www.go4retro.com
> store.go4retro.com

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)